Text adventures with ChatGPT

 


Here's another great idea for using ChatGPT with English language students that I first saw the educator Doris Molero talk about on Facebook. Some months ago I had the pleasure to talk to Doris about some of her work. You can listen to my chat with Doris on Teachers Talk Radio here. 

The original prompt / idea was: 

This is a wonderful game to play with your students. Here you have some variations on the same game: "You are a text-based video game where you give me options (A, B, C, and D) as my choices. The setting is Lord of the Rings. I start out with 100 health" "You are a text-based video game where you give me options (A, B, C, and D) as my choices. The setting is Winnie the Pooh. I start out with 100 health" Your imagination is the limit. have students play in groups and share their games and results.

I tried out some variations to see what the results would be. The first one was...

You are a text-based adventure game where you give me options (A, B, C, and D) as my choices. The setting is New York City in the Future where robots are common. I start out with 100 health.

This is what ChatGPT came up with and how the game developed as I started playing it.

You wake up in the future New York City and see that the world has changed. Robots are now a common sight. You have 100 health points and are ready to start your adventure.

You find yourself standing at a crossroads.

A. Walk down the busy street and see what the city has to offer B. Enter a dark alley and explore C. Visit a local store to purchase supplies D. Head to the nearest bar to ask for directions

Which option do you choose (A, B, C, or D)?

I selected 'A'

You walk down the busy street and take in your surroundings. You see all sorts of robots going about their business. Some are performing manual labor while others are interacting with humans in a friendly manner.

You come across a street performer who is playing music with a unique robotic instrument.

A. Stop to listen to the performance B. Offer to make a donation to the performer C. Keep walking and ignore the performer D. Ask the performer about the instrument

What would you like to do (A, B, C, or D)?

I next chose 'B'

You approach the street performer and offer to make a donation. The performer gratefully accepts and thanks you for your generosity.

As you continue down the street, you come across a robot that has broken down and is in need of repair.

A. Attempt to repair the robot yourself B. Find a nearby store to buy parts to repair the robot C. Leave the robot and continue on your way D. Report the broken robot to the authorities

What would you like to do (A, B, C, or D)?

Here, I chose 'B'

You head to a nearby store to purchase the necessary parts to repair the robot. After acquiring the parts, you return to the broken down robot and begin to repair it. Your technical skills come in handy and you successfully fix the robot.

The grateful robot thanks you and offers to assist you on your journey in any way possible.

A. Accept the robot's help B. Decline the robot's offer and continue on your own C. Ask the robot to guide you to the nearest bar D. Ask the robot to show you around the city

What would you like to do (A, B, C, or D)?

I selected 'A' because I was interested in seeing what this vague answer would lead to. I'm also noticing the game is trying very hard to try to make me go to a bar, which is interesting, but not ideal if you were doing this activity with children. I suppose adding 'suitable for children' to the prompt would be a good idea in that context. 

You accept the robot's offer and the two of you set out to explore the city together. As you walk, the robot shares some interesting facts about the city and its advancements in technology.

You come across a large building with a sign that reads "Robot Arena."

A. Enter the Robot Arena and participate in a battle B. Watch a battle at the Robot Arena C. Keep walking and avoid the Robot Arena D. Ask the robot about the Robot Arena

What would you like to do (A, B, C, or D)?

I next chose 'A ' because I was interested in seeing how the combat system worked. I think adding the 'I start out with 100 health' or similar to the prompt will lead to Chat GPT adding combat or opportunities to lose health in the game. On another occasion, I'll explore this further and omit this part of the prompt to see what happens.

You and the robot enter the Robot Arena and sign up for a battle. The arena is packed with spectators and the atmosphere is electric. Your battle is against a tough opponent, but with the help of the robot, you manage to emerge victorious.

The crowd cheers and you and the robot are awarded a prize.

A. Keep the prize and continue exploring the city B. Donate the prize to a local charity C. Use the prize to upgrade your equipment D. Share the prize with the robot

What would you like to do (A, B, C, or D)?

OK, so no damage. My health is still at 100 and there's no sense of any peril in the game, which is problematic. I want to play a game that has some conflict in it or where there are some stakes to it. I think working on the prompt more to ensure that is the case and also adding a part of the prompt so there is an ending after a number of turns would probably be a good idea. As it stands, I think the game feels like it could go on forever. I chose 'B' and decided to end the game here. 

You decide to donate the prize to a local charity. The charity thanks you for your generosity and you continue your journey through the city, proud of the good deed you have done.

As you walk, you come across a large park.

A. Take a rest and relax in the park B. Visit a nearby lake to fish C. Keep walking and avoid the park D. Play a sport with the local robots

What would you like to do (A, B, C, or D)?

So, apart from the running commentary above, how did I feel about using this type of game for language practice for students? I definitely think it has potential and as mentioned above, I think working on the prompt and further playtesting would help streamline the game ChatGPT comes up with. At the moment the language practice seems fine - there's a range of verbs and vocabulary that's interesting enough. It would make an interesting reading activity for students. 

However, as a game, it feels there's a lot to be desired. There's no sense of peril so far, and it feels like it's never-ending. Adding a prompt to limit the amount of turns and perhaps devising a point system to reward the 'best' choices would help - then students could play to see how many points they got rather than losing health. I'll definitely be experimenting more with this. Thanks for the idea, Doris!













Comments

  1. Thanks to you. We'll keep on sharing and learning together. I liked that students will need to read and understand and choose wisely. Not all of my students are gamers, so the part of gainiang or losing health is ok. Anyway, I always enede up gaining 150 in health, ;). It reminded me of the little games you sometimes find in English books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Doris - I've been playing more with this and think the possibilities are very interesting, espcially if you limit the time the game lasts and add some other parameters - see latest post for the update.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Design in the age of Generative AI

Using recorded Skype conversations as assessment tools

Digital Literacy - Gavin Dudeney