Revisiting gamification


In January this year and then a few weeks later, I did two presentations on Gamification. I was asked to do one of these and thought it would be interesting to make it a two-parter when asked to present at a different event. 

The first event was for teachers in Romania at the second Shine conference, and I based what I did on a presentation I did nine years previously, revisiting Gamification: Magic Bullet or Broken Sword, first presented at the IATEFL LT SIG & TESOL CALL IS 2nd Web conference on June 14th 2014, and then revisited in October later that year at the IATEFL web conference. I was pleasantly surprised to see most of the gamification I presented then are still thriving. That presentation was very similar to the one I'd done in 2014 (slides here). 

The follow-up presentation, I did for the British Council's Teaching English website (see recorded video below) and this was also streamed live on Facebook. 


For this presentation, I changed the content, looking at some of the latest developments in gamification and changing a lot of the slides. I enjoyed it so much, I decided to make gamification a feature of the Teachers Talk Radio show on 1st February


I still think there's a lot of potential for gamification in language teaching and learning that hasn't been tapped into yet, and so I think I'll definitely be exploring it further here on this blog and elsewhere. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Design in the age of Generative AI

Using recorded Skype conversations as assessment tools

Digital Literacy - Gavin Dudeney